Su Beng's July 2013 Facebook posts

During these past couple of months, especially in the month of July, Su Beng has been posting quite frequently on Facebook. It's sometimes hard for me to get them all translated. In some of his posts he really delves into political philosophy and theory, while others consist of a series of simple sentences, which are written in a style that makes me think these are things that Su Beng might say at a rally. I've picked one (from July 13) that I think summarizes what he has to say to the Taiwanese people and will translate it here:



Here is the complete post below along with English translation:

你是在台灣生的嗎?
Were you born in Taiwan?

你是在台灣長大的嗎?
Did you grow up in Taiwan?

你是在台灣生活的嗎?
Are you living in Taiwan?

你對台灣有愛心嗎?
Do you love Taiwan?

你有希望台灣進步發展嗎?
Do you wish that Taiwan would improve and develop?

你豈是想說台灣咱得保衛自己?
Have you ever thought about our Taiwan’s need to protect itself?

就是這樣,
That’s the way it goes,

你豈想永遠做奴隸嗎?
Have you ever thought about being enslaved forever?

你豈想台灣受外來統治很好嗎?
Have you thought about whether it's good for Taiwan to be under foreign rule?

你不想淘汰中國國民黨民族主義甲中華民國『體制』嗎?
Have you ever thought about eliminating the Chinese Kuomintang with their nationalist philosophy hidden behind the Republic of China system?

你豈想受中國共產帝國主義來統治也好?
Have you thought about whether it’s also good to be under the rule of the Chinese Communist imperialism?

不吧! 不! 不! 不! 不! 不! 不吧!
I suppose no! No! No! No! No! No! Absolutely no!

若是這樣!!!!!!
How about this!!!!!!

你何不站起來! 來做台灣民族英雄!! 來甲世界的人平坐企!
Why not stand up and be a champion of the Taiwanese people and to attain world class equality!

台灣萬歲!!!!
 Long live Taiwan!!!!

台灣民族萬歲!!!!
 Long live the Taiwanese people!!!!

台灣做自己的主人萬歲!!!!
The Taiwanese are the own masters of their fate!!!!

~史明
~Su Beng



This is Su Beng's current Facebook profile photo. The T-shirt he's wearing reads "大人大種"

The phrase "大人大種" on Su Beng's t-shirt can be translated literally as: great person, great stock. I've been told that this character for stock "種" basically means type; but, in this context of usage, it has the connotation of "having extraordinary courage to face great danger, fear and pain." I've also been told that in the context of someone Taiwanese facing his archenemy, namely the Chinese, these characters could be interpreted to mean: "I am a grown man and have done all kinds of things. I don't need anyone to boss me around."